Zombies

I never knew that zombies, corpse, lifeless thoughtless yet disgustingly disturbing dead human, can turned out to be a sweet romantic yet caring creature that even humans might could fall for


My sister is a huge fan of Nicholas Hoult. She screamed for him even though she didn't know that it was him. Hope you get what I mean. While for me, I just adore him because he is a really talented actor. He stared in many movies as different characters. Literally, different characters. He's an attractive popular boy (this one is a TV show not a movie lol), he's a farmer boy who fights evil giants and ended up being the king of a kingdom, he's a big blue mutant called Beast and joined the X-Men, he's a warrior in that Rome battle thingy, and he's a zombie. Oh I just love actors/actresses that plays totally different roles in different movies.

Warm Bodies is a comedic horror and romantic film based on Isaac Marion's novel with the same name. Well yeah horror because it has zombies and the beginning part of the movie really creeps me out (and gave me goosebumps too). Anyway, here's the first 4 minutes of the movie, the creepy part that I mentioned above. It's not too scary, believe me



Who wants to see a Boney??


Fyi this movie is soo last year. I live under a rock, so, forgive me 

I hate zombies, I really do. Most people here are scared of the local supernatural creatures that are clearly and obviously might be lingering somewhere around my neighborhood. But for me, I'm a pathetic nerd who is scared of aliens, zombies, and dementors. Umm look at the bright side, those creatures are no where to be found here in Indonesia! And the best part is, dementors are just fictional creature that is made by JK Rowling.

Just forget about the paragraph above.

So, umm.. Just letting you know that anything that you read below might contain spoilers. I don't want to tell each detail part of the story, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

I'm going to talk about the movie first, then the novel.

The movie.. Yes.. I just watched it four days ago and I can't stop thinking about it ever since. I knew how the movie's going to go. The zombie will obviously get the girl, whether the zombie will turn into a living boy or maybe the girl will turned into a moving corpse. Or, they wouldn't be together and this movie will be that terrible movie that has bad ending and just a total waste of time. I'm not expecting much, especially when I see the zombie's grisly visage. Eew, okay. Just ew
I do think that maybe R (zombie) would turned into a human, in the most cliche way. R's gonna be converted into human by the true love - Julie's kiss and they're gonna live happily ever after.

However, 
I was wrong. The movie has a really good story. It is cliche, but the director managed to deliver it in a very entertaining and surprising way. Well, R didn't get coverted by Julie's kiss, but because of love. And the other zombies too. I'm glad that other zombies got turned into humans, so it's not just the main character that has good ending. 

My favorite part of the movie is when M, R's best friend saw a poster of a couple holding hands. He felt love. Other zombies started to gather and stared at the poster. M asked a zombie that stoods beside him "do you feel it?", and that zombie answered yes. The camera showed the zombies, then suddenly there was this heartbeat from the zombies. This is really cliche but oh well I don't mind. Suddenly, a group of boneys already stood behind the zombies. R mentioned in the beginning of the movie that boneys would eat anything with a heartbeat. My heart raced as one of the boney approached M, studied him with it's deep hollow eyes. What happens next is that I'm not going to tell ya

What I love about this movie besides the story itself and Nick Hoult as R, are the soundtracks that somehow managed to touch me and the zombie makeup that slightly changed to be more lively during the movie. I don't know how to describe how I love the soundtracks, I just love, well, I love each songs that are played during the right situation. It gave me the feels, well of course that's one purpose of soundtracks. As for the makeup, you can read this article for complete detail. Umm the article actually only tells about how they did the makeup (there's photos!) and I am impressed.

I don't know that else should I fangirled, I don't wanna spoil much LOL

Okay so here's my thoughts about the novel

I think I love everything in this book. Well, I watched the movie first, then I read the book. Usually when I read a book then I watched the movie, the movie would be just boring and disappointing as hell.

R is more lively in this book. Marion gradually described R's changes in a way that made the readers surprised. For example, there was a moment when R suddenly smiled. R is very surprised that he smiled because all his life as a zombie he never actually smiled. This made me squealed, "omg did he just smiled??!"

This book has the "first person point of view", which is R's. Readers are invited to felt what it's like to be a zombie, the emptiness, the love and affection, the lost and confusion, and the new hunger.

I really love how Isaac Marion describe R's thought as a zombie. It was so real that I feel like I can feel what he's feelings. And about how he described R's hunger just made me hungry too.

I don't know how long it's been since our last hunting trip, probably just a phew days, but I feel it. I feel the electricity in my limbs fizzling, fading. I see relentless visions of blood in my mind, that brilliant, mesmerizing red, flowing through pink tissues in intricate webs and Pollock fractals, pulsing and vibrating with life.
- Hungry R, Isaac Marion

Okay I think I can came up with something better than that.

In my mind I am eloquent; I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest cathedral ceilings and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, it all collapses.
- Just R, Isaac Maarion

That quote above is my favorite. Every living mortal sure have had that situation where they feel like they want to say something but somehow there are no words that could express their thoughts.

I want to tell about some details that are different or not filmed in the movie but I don't want to spoil anythiiiing ;A; Gosh this is so haarrdd

Well, the book tells the relations between each character. Like how Julie and Nora ended up being best friends, how Julie's mother died, and more about Perry's life. And of course, there are some events that are not included in the movie.
The ending of the movie is completely different from how it's told in the novel. Sorry can't tell ya, but it's definitely EPIC. Both endings satisfied me, they have their own drama.

Yeah sorry I can't tell more :( You should read the book yourself! Hopefully, I managed to find a link of where you can download the full PDF for free. CLICK HERE for the PDF file, or here for the source. It's not really long, i mean, you can read it in less than 9 hours.

Movie or novel?
I like them both, I mean, I love them. In the novel, R is more of a gentleman (he died wearing black slacks, gray shirt and a red tie. He must be a businessman or something). He have his thoughts as a human, including his memory about the joy of sex and everything else. Especially for M, he's a total dick. The zombies are not as thoughtless as they were in the movie. While in the movie, the zombies are zombies. It is the thoughtless and innocent side of the zombies that made the movie so touching and lovely to watch.
There are many, I repeat many things that are different from the book and the movie. Yeah I do feel a little disappointed, but the novel and movie is a whole different story and both stories are very special in their own way.

That's all I can write. It's a quite long post

Seeya

1 comments:

  1. Just accidentally watched this few days ago on HBO Hits and got hooked, lol. It seems that I'm living under a rock too... .___.
    Hoult is totally awesome, ermm scratch that, hawt :))
    Gotta read the novel soon!

    ReplyDelete